Hello guys, this article will explain to you about an error message of Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration which specifies that your computer Ethernet connection has no valid IP configuration.
This means the operating system is not able to receive an IP address from the DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) server.
The DHCP server is a network protocol that assigns an IP address to your computer for a specific network.
If it fails to assign an IP address you will get the error message of Ethernet invalid IP configuration with a yellow triangle ⚠️mark on your network icon.
What can cause Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP Configuration
- An issue with Network Interface Card (NIC)
- Network Adaptor Glitch
- Incorrect network configuration
- Network Cache
- Bad Network cable
How to FIX “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Before proceeding with the technical methods I would request you to go through with few basic and easy steps which may fix this error.
EASY FIX #1:- Running Network Troubleshooter may FIX ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
If something on your device isn’t working such as with Network, hardware & devices you can use Windows in-built Troubleshooter to fix such issues.
Follow the steps to run Windows Troubleshooter
- Type Troubleshooter in the search box located at the left-hand bottom
- Select Troubleshoot settings from the suggestion box
- Now in the troubleshoot settings box look for find and fix other problems
- Find Network Adaptors and click on it
- Click Run the Troubleshooter which will start the process
- Wait till the process get completed and restart your computer
Follow these steps carefully and if this doesn’t work proceed to the next step.
EASY FIX #2:- Make sure your DHCP client service is running
- Press Windows + R key together to open the RUN box and type services.msc, click ok
- Please wait until you see Services Window is coming up.
- Now in the Service window look for DHCP Client and make sure its Status is running and the Startup type is Automatic
- If not double click on it and choose start-up type Automatic and click on Start
Refresh and Restart your computer to check if the issue of local area connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration is fixed or not.
EASY FIX #3:- Temporarily disable your Antivirus and VPN connections
Many times it has been observed that an error of Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration occur because of an Antivirus or any running VPN connection.
Antivirus may detect threats like IDP.GENERIC which can also block your IP or can be a cause of incorrect network settings
So we won’t waste much time on this and will quickly disable Antivirus and the VPN connection.
Restart your device and see if this fixes your issue of local area connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.
EASY FIX #4:-Disable Fast Start-up to FIX ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Fast start-up load settings directly from system cache to minimize boot time of Windows. Follow the steps to disable Fast Start-up
- Type Power in the search box and click on Power & sleep settings from the suggestion box
- Now in the power settings windows look for additional power settings and click on it
- On the left-hand panel look for Choose what the power button does and click on it
- In the next box click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”
- Scroll down to find shut down settings and uncheck the box of the turn-on fast start-up
- Click save changes and restart your computer
Disabling Fast start-up may fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration Windows 10 as the system will now fully boot without cache.
EASY FIX #5:- Restart your Modem and Router
Turn off your Router and Modem and remove the Internet cable connected to your modem or router with Rj45 connector and wait at least for 5 to 10 minutes.
Now you can insert the cable back and turn on your router and modem.
Please check your connection now
Not working DONT WORRY
Proceed to FIX#6
FIX #6:- Check Network Adaptor (TCP/IP) settings
Mostly ISP (Internet service provider) uses the DHCP server to assign an IP address to their user.
Network Adaptor settings use automatically obtain an IP address option to obtain an IP address from DHCP automatically.
We need to make sure of these settings
- Type CPL on the search box and hit Enter.
- Now you will see different network connections, right-click on Ethernet or Local area network and choose properties
- Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- In the next box make sure “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically” are checked
- If not check them and click OK to make the changes
This will probably fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration and if not kindly restart and check again.
FIX #7:- Reset Network Configuration to FIX ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration
Resetting and Flushing the IP address as many times computer saved network settings become outdated or get conflict with another network.
Performing this method will also fix the issue of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN which mostly appears on Google Chrome.
So simply follow the steps in order to reset the settings
- Type cmd in the Windows search box
- From the suggestion box right-click on cmd and click run as administrator
- Once the black window of command prompt comes up, perform the below commands one by one
Netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Netsh winsock reset
- After performing these commands type NCPA.CPL again in the search box again and hit enter
- Right-click again on the Ethernet box and choose Disable
- Wait for 2 minutes and Enable it again
- Restart your computer and check if the issues of Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration has been fixed or not.
FIX #7:-Disable other Network Adaptors
Sometimes different network adaptors installed on the computer can interfere with each other and may create issues with ethernet and cause such errors.
By different network adaptors I mean VMware Adaptors, Bluetooth Adaptors, and Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adaptor.
To disable VMware and Bluetooth Adaptor follow the below steps
- Type ncpa.cpl in the search box and hit Enter
- In the next window, you will see all the Network Adaptors
- Look for other adaptors like VMware and Bluetooth Adaptors, right-click on it and Disable it.
For Microsoft Kernel Debug Adaptor, follow the steps
- Type Device manager in the Windows search box located at the left-hand bottom and hit Enter.
- The device manager box will come up, scroll down and look for Network Adaptors.
- Double click on Device Manager and locate the VIEW tab at the bottom of the screen
- Click on view and check Show hidden devices which will display Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adaptor
- Right-click on it and click Disable device.
- Click on yes if the message prompts for the permission
You can now check if this fixed the issue, you can also try after restarting.
FIX #8:- Update Ethernet Network Adaptor
May be any bug or an outdated Network Adaptor can create issues connecting to the Internet and gives an error of “Ethernet no valid IP”
Updating Network Adaptor drivers may fix this issue.
Let’s see the steps
- Type device manager on the Windows search box and hit Enter.
- From the device, manager box look for Network Adaptors and double click on it.
- Look for your Ethernet driver and right-click on it to click Update.
- You will get a new pop up where you need to select “Search automatically for updated driver software” which will start searching for the latest driver.
- Once installed you can restart your device
If no updated drivers are found you can switch to the next FIX
FIX #9:- Reinstall LAN Network Adaptor
In this method, we will first uninstall the affected LAN network adaptor and then reinstall it. Follow the steps
- Type device manager on the Windows search box and hit Enter.
- From the device, manager box looks for Network Adaptors and double click on it.
- Look for your LAN driver and right-click on it to click Uninstall
- Follow the instruction by giving your permission and restart your device to completely remove the current network adaptor.
- Once the computer is restarted open device manager again and click on Action from the above tab and click on “Scan for hardware changes”
- Doing the above step will automatically install the latest LAN network adaptor for you.(make sure you are connected to the Internet while performing this step)
- If anyhow it fails, you need to download the latest updated driver from the Manufactures’s website.
This is how you can search on Google
Latest LAN driver for (manufactures name)
Click here in case of Realtek
- Once downloaded right-click on the setup file and click properties > Compatibility > Run this program in compatibility mode for > select your operating system and click Apply and OK
- Switch to setup file and double click on it to install
Restart the computer once installed and check if this fixed “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” issue on your computer.
FIX #10:- Disable IPv6 and Check LAN Cable
By default, the computer is configured to use IPv4 but possibly due to certain misconfiguration, IPv6 may run and create conflict giving such errors.
Follow the steps to disable IPv6
- Type ncpa.cpl in the Windows search box and hit Enter
- Right-click on your LAN network adaptor and click properties
- Look for Internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and uncheck it
- Click on OK and restart your device.
Finally, if nothing works chances are that problem is with the LAN cable, so we need to make sure that there is no cut or any problem with the cable
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Question: – Is this method good for fixing Ethernet that doesn’t have a valid IP configuration in windows 10?
Answer: – Yes, these methods are good for all operating system of Windows except Windows XP
Question: –How do I fix no IP address on Android?
Answer: – Please follow the below instructions
- Change the encryption type
- Forget network and reconnect again to your network
- Tun of your MAC filtering
- Restart your modem and Phone
- Turn your phone flight mode ON and OFF
Question: – How do I know if an IP address is invalid?
Answer: – There can be many signs of invalid IP, like
- Any IP address with more than 3 dots is invalid
- If any IP address begins with 0 it’s invalid
- Address above 255 will be invalid
- IP address starting from 240 to 255 is reserved, and cannot be assigned
Question: – Why is my IP address not showing up?
Answer: – This means you are not connected to the Internet and DHCP failed to assign an IP address to your device
Question: – Can I fix the LAN on a PC when it says the IP is not valid?
Answer: – Please check your cable and make sure your LAN cable is connected to the right port of Modem that is Ethernet port.
Question: – I am able to use the Internet on my phone but why not on my PC which gives me the same error of Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration?
Answer: – Yes, because the problem is with your PC settings like with NIC card, Network settings, etc. Follow the above steps carefully and I am very sure your issue will be resolved.
Question: – Will this article also help if I am getting the “Unidentified Network” label with a yellow triangle mark on my Network icon.
Answer: – Yes, an Unidentified network means your device is not able to identify the network which can be because of many reasons like
DHCP fails to assign an IP address
Network Adaptor glitch
Network Cache and incorrect settings.
Follow the steps given in the article from the beginning.
This Article covered almost every step to fix this error of Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration in Windows.
Please follow every step carefully and do not skip any of the above FIX methods.
You can contact your ISP (Internet service provider) if nothing works for you.
Please let me know in the comment box if this article solved your issue or not.