Discord Text Formatting | Brief Tutorial on Markdown
In this article, we will learn discord markdown and about all kinds of Discord Text Formatting.
Every regular user of Discord must know enough about the Discord Text formatting.
We understand that all the Discord users might be seeing other discord users, sending text messages with lots of attractive styles and colors.
Discord has become one of the most popular VoIP applications, especially in the Gaming Industry.
Discord offers services like Discord Screen share, Audio, Video, Images, and Text.
While using Text in Discord we wish to decorate our text to give it an attractive look which can be done by learning Discord Text formatting.
So in this article, you would be able to learn various ways of Discord formatting text.
So if you have an intention to decorate and send a stylish text to your friends, then I promise you will be learning more than your expectations through which you can teach others as well.
We will be learning about Discord Text formatting and Discord color text and will cover many questions that Discord users have in their mind like
What is Discord bold and how to bold text in Discord?
How to use Italics in Discord?
How to underline text in Discord?
What is Discord color text and how to use it?
What is Discord strikethrough?
How to know more about Discord fonts?
Know some facts about Discord Text Formatting
Discord Markdown is a feature that allows you to style your text.
In order to use markdown you simply need to add character before and after the text to make it stylish.
Like to make it an italic simply add *or__ after the sentence or word. For example typing *I love Discord* will make it look like I love Discord
If you don’t want to use Discord markdown simply add a backslash in front of your typed word or sentence.
Discord markdown contains a total of 6 operators, so let’s start learning with these operators and all about Discord Text formatting.
# Italics Text (I) Discord Text Formatting
Italic is basically used to prominence a specific word or phrase. While chatting if something seems to be important or offensive then please use italic text over there.
Discord Markdown for Italics:- *
How to do Italics in Discord
- So again if we want to focus on any specific word or phrase for ex:- I want to focus how to do italics in Discord in the sentence “Hey Joe I am enjoying Discord have a look at how to do italics in Discord”
- We will add 1 asterisk * after and before the selected text by pressing shift+8 which will be like *how to do italics in Discord”
- So now our sentence will look like “Hey Joe I am enjoying Discord have a look at how to do italics in Discord”
So now we can quickly do italics in Discord by simply adding * after and before the text. Now let’s proceed to the second operator of Discord Bold
# Discord Bold (B)
Bold is one of the most common and most used features while chatting with someone.
When we type while chatting we want to highlight any words or sentences to show as a heading or main subject.
This feature basically makes your selected text a little larger to look a bit different.
Discord Markdown for Bold:- **
How to bold text in Discord
If I am chatting with someone and while sending my message I want to highlight some of my text in bold. So this is how I will do
- Open the chat box of user with whom I want to chat
- The message I want to send is “Hey Bob I am enjoying Discord with its amazing features, have a look at How to bold text in Discord”
- So in the above message, I want to bold “How to bold text in Discord”
- What I will do now is I will add 2 asterisks ** before and after the text by pressing Shift+8 and send the message. So now my message will look like
- “Hey Bob I am enjoying Discord with its amazing features, have a look at how to bold text in Discord.
So here you learned the Discord bold feature of Discord text formatting.
# Bold Italicized (I)
Now as we know to italicize the text we need to use one asterisk * and to bold the text we need to add two asterisks **
So if you want your text to look both bold and italic use three asterisk *** after and before the selected text. Let’s see with an example.
Discord markdown for Bold Italicized:- ***
How to bold Italicize text in Discord
- If we want to write a text “Hey buddy I know how to do italics in Discord”
- In this text, I want to highlight “Italics in Discord” so I will add *** before and after my selected text which will look like “Hey buddy I know how to do ***Italics in Discord***”
- So now my text will look like “ Hey buddy I know how to do Italics in Discord”
So, let’s make clearer, for Discord Font
Discord Italics = *
Discord Bold = **
Discord+ Italics = ***
# Discord Underline (U)
Just like Discord bold and Italics, Discord Underline is used to bring importance to any name or to clarify an unfamiliar word. Discord fonts are of great use to us.
To format our selected text in underline we need to add 2 underscores __ before and after the text.
Discord Markdown for Underline:- __
How to use Discord Underline
- If I have to underline the word “how to underline in Discord” in “ Hey dude I know how to underline in Discord “
- I will simply add 2 underscores __ which will be like “ Hey dude I know __how to underline in Discord__”
- So now this sentence will look like “Hey dude I know how to underline in Discord”
# Few more combinations of Discord Text Formatting
So far we learned Discord Bold, Discord Italics, Discord Bold Italics, Discord underline.
Now let’s go deeper and see what else we can do in Discord Fonts.
Underlined and Italicized Discord Text formatting
I want to make my text both Italic and underlined for which I will add 2 underscore and 1 asterisk* after and before the Text
Input:- Discord Markdown
I will add:- __*Discord Markdown*__
Output:- Discord Markdown
Underlined and Bold Discord Text Formatting
Now to make my text both underlined and Bold I will simply use 2 underscore __and 2 asterisk ** before and after the text
Input:- Discord Fonts
I will add:- __**Discord Fonts**__
Output:- Discord Fonts
Underlined, Bold and Italic Discord Text Formatting
Yes, we can make our text bold, italic, and underlined as well with Discord Markdown.
I will simply add 2 underscore__ and 3 asterisks *** before and after the text by pressing shift + 8 key.
Input:- Discord Markdown
I will add:- __***Discord Markdown***__
Output:- Discord Markdown
# Discord Strike-through (abc)
The Primary use of Discord Strike-through is to mark those words or text which have been removed or typed by mistake.
Well, it also depends on you for what purpose you want to use.
To format the word or text in strike-through we need to add two tildes before and after the selected text and word.
Discord Markdown for Strikethrough:- ~~
How to strikethrough on Discord
- I was trying to send a text “I love Discord strikethrough” but by mistake, I typed “I lowe Discord strikethrough”
- So now in the text chat, I will simply use Discord strikethrough for the wrong word I typed lowe
- What I will do is I will add 2 tildes ~~before and after the word by pressing shift + ~ key
- So here is what I typed ~~lowe~~
- And this is what it will look like lowe
Discord strikethrough with Italic(abc)
We do have the options of bold, italic, and underline for strikethrough as well.
To make italic strikethrough we simply need to add 2 tildes ~~ and 1 asterisk * before and after the text.
Input:- How to strikethrough on Discord I will add:- ~~* How to strikethrough on Discord*~~ Output:- How to strikethrough on Discord
Discord strikethrough with Bold (abc)
To format the strikethrough text in bold we need to add 2 tildes~~ and 2 asterisks ** before and after the text
Input:- Strikethrough Discord I will add:- ~~**Strikethrough Discord**~~ Output:- Strikethrough Discord
Discord Strikethrough with Bold and Italic(abc)
If we want to bold and italicize the strikethrough text, then add 2 tildes~~ and 3 asterisks *** before and after the text
Input:- Discord text formatting I will add:- ~~***Discord text formatting***~~ Output:- Discord text formatting
Discord Strikethrough with Underline (abc)
This is not important that you have to follow any specific rule, so it’s up to you how you use the Discord fonts formatting.
To underline the strikethrough Discord use 2 underscores __ and 2 asterisks ~~ before and after the text.
Input:- Discord Underline I will add:- __~~Discord Underline~~__ Output:- Discord Underline
# Discord Single Line Code Blocks(`)
Inline Code blocks are basically used to highlight a short snippet of code within the sentence.
So for Inline code blocks type backtick ` before and after the selected text or select the text you want to highlight and press the backtick ` key.
Discord Markdown for Inline Code Block:- `
How to use Discord Inline Code Blocks
- If I want to highlight any sentence like to “Discord chat commands”
- So If will simply add 1 backtick ` before and after the sentence, which will be like `Discord chat commands`
- The output will look like Discord chat commands
# Discord Multiple Line Code Blocks (“`)
Just like Single code blocks, we can also use multiple Line code blocks by adding 3 backticks “` to make the sentence or any specific word more complex than single code blocks.
Discord Markdown for Multiple line code blocks:- “`
How to use Discord multiple line code blocks
- If I want to highlight the text “ Discord code block”
- I will add 3 backticks“` before and after the text which will look like “`Discord code block“`
- The output will look like the Discord code block
# Discord Color Text Syntax Markdown(a,a,a,a)
Discord is an amazing and incredible tool for communication that you can be used for both business and personal use.
Discord has been amazing because of many features like it supports colorful chat with discord chat commands.
Discord uses Java to build its interface through a library called Highlight.js.
It took a long time to collect the exact information and the best way to explain to you all how to use Discord color text.
So here we will be learning to create all color codes which will help you to highlight the text through code blocks and make more attractive through the different colors.
Ok that’s enough let’s start learning colors
The syntax for RED (DIFF)
- So, if I want to write “Discord Text Color” in red, I will add
- 3 backticks “` followed by code DIFF and hit Enter and then type a dash- followed by the text which is Discord Text Color and hit Enter again and type three backticks “`again and send the message
- -Discord Text Color
So, my final text will look like
–Discord Text Color
The syntax for Orange (CSS)
- Here my text will be “ Discord color text”, so I will add
- 3 backticks“` followed by the code CSS and hit Enter. Now add brackets [ ] to close the text and hit Enter again and finally type three backticks “`again and Enter
- [Discord Color Text]
So now the text will look like
[ Discord color text ]
The syntax for Yellow (FIX)
Yellow Discord font can be considered as the easiest one, see how through the steps
- This time I want to type “SKYSHIELD DIGITAL ” so I will add
- 3 backticks “`followed by the code FIX and Enter.
- Now I will type my text, and hit Enter and then 3 backticks “`
- SKYSHIELD DIGITAL
My Final text
The syntax for Blue (INI)
As we know that we have been using different symbols for different colors.
- Here my text is “Discord Markdown Text”, I will add
- 3 backticks“` with the code INI and then Enter.
- I will type my text now closed by the brackets [ ] and Enter
- Again 3 backticks “` and Enter
- [Discord Markdown Text]
My Blue Text now will look like this
[Discord Markdown Text]
The syntax for Light Green (CSS)
Here, we have two different codes for two shades of green which are light green and dark green.
So we will start with light green.
- The text we want to make light green will be “ Discord Font Tutorial”
- Type 3 backticks“` with the code CSS and hit Enter.
- Now type the text closed by the quotation mark and hit Enter
- Type 3 backticks and Enter again
- “Discord Font Tutorial”
Here what I send
“Discord Font Tutorial”
The syntax for Dark Green (BASH)
- Lets type “Discord Font Tutorial” again
- 3 backticks “`with the code BASH and Enter, type the text closed by the quotation mark and Enter, 3 backticks “` again and Enter
- “Discord Font Tutorial”
My final Text will look like
“Discord Font Tutorial”
Note:- Learn more Color code from https://highlightjs.org/static/demo/
# Discord Spoiler Tag (||)
Discord Spoiler Tag is one of the amazing features of Discord Markdown which is basically used for hiding any sensitive information and can be seen by tapping on that spoiler.
Spoiler Tag Discord is very easy to use, what we need to do is to surround our text or phrase by two vertical bars on both sides.
Discord Spoiler Tag:- ||
How to use Discord Spoiler Tag
- Here our text or phrase will be “Discord spoiler tag file is in the locker”
- So here we consider locker as confidential text and I will use spoiler for this text
- This is how I will type now “ Discord spoiler tag file is in the ||Locker||”
- My Phrase now will look like Discord spoiler tag file is in the Locker
- Now, this spoiler tag can only be seen by tapping or clicking on it.
- Practice these lessons of Discord formatting Text right now or on the same day
- You can learn also about Discord screen share through which you can give your computer access to anyone for showing your screen
- Go through the markdown tutorial, if you are really interested in learning or enhancing your skills
- While using Discord if you have trouble like no route then you can also learn and know how to fix Discord no route
- Learn Full Markdown Cheatsheet
Frequently asked questions
Question: – Can you center text in Discord?
Answer: – Unfortunately, there is no way to center/text images but maybe you can try using tons of space bars.
Question: – How to cross out text in discord mobile?
Answer: – Use strikethrough to cross out the text in Discord. Please read the article above on how to strikethrough text in Discord
Hey, we are done !!!
Open your Discord and let’s show your friends what new you can do now
Let’s quickly start implementing every Discord Text Formatting feature you learned.
Please don’t skip for the next day, try to do it today because quick practice after the lesson makes you a good learner.
Discord, no doubt has become one of the popular apps not only in the gaming industry but also for personal and business purposes.
I tried my best to give you enough required information through which you can easily play while chatting on Discord.
You can also download a PDF file of this article or simply bookmark the page to read this article again in case you miss or forget anything.